Saturday, April 27, 2013

Spending on Beauty: Just Say No?

I might as well start my blog with a little confession. I am infatuated with makeup and skin care! Every day, my email box fills with tempting offers from Sephora, Clinique, Estee Lauder, Paula's Choice, and other beauty retailers. Even though I'm on a fixed income nowadays, I often find it impossible to resist that fatal click that brings me to one of these sites, where I check out the sales of the day, the new products, the freebies designed to vacuum up my money.

In my Gmail today: an alluring offer from Clinique of a 7-piece gift bonus I'd earn if I made a $25 purchase. $25: not so much, right? And they even supplied a code for two free mini Repairwears.  Of course, you know what happened next.

I click on the offer. I find two things I want, a cleanser to replenish one I've nearly used up, and a certain Chubby Stick eyeshadow in a shade I really like called Mighty Moss. The two items come to around $32, but I'll be charged for shipping because free shipping does not kick in until you spend $50. I hate paying for shipping, so I put another item in my cart and suddenly the total, with tax, is over $60.

I know I'll enjoy these products; when they arrive, it'll be a little Christmas-morning-in-May. And I know I can offset the expense a bit by buying through a portal like Ebates or Shop Discover. Usually, I  press the Checkout button and spend the money. But today I had an epiphany. I realized that other items in my collection were similar to the items in my cart, and that therefore these products were just a luxury I didn't need. So I closed the screen and I was 60-odd dollars richer for it.

And I will celebrate this windfall by starting a blog called Womanhood and Plenty. It'll be about spending and getting, saving and planning, product reviewing, and making a little money apart from the world of regular work. Welcome aboard.

==============


 I just found out about this great Facebook giveaway for a set of lavish cosmetic products. Ends May 6:

Elizabeth Arden Giveaway